July 23, 2012

Couch to 10k

Today marks the beginning of the Couch to 10k program for me. Although I never completed the Couch to 5k program, I decided to give the Couch to 10k a try.  So I dusted off the treadmill and got to running. 


Week 1, Day 1 complete. 


This workout was not easy, but manageable. It was 8 repetitions of running for 60 seconds and walking 90 seconds. I remember not that long ago that running for 60 seconds was literally hell. This time, I felt good. I felt accomplished. 


I will do this whole program over 10 weeks....3 workouts per week. I peeked ahead and the workouts look pretty tolerable until about week 7, then I think it's going to get tough.


My goal with this is to not even run a 10k in a competition, but to complete a 5k - running the whole time. I may end up doing 10k's eventually, but I want to better my 5k time. My first race a couple of years ago, my time was 43 minutes. When I ran in March, my time was 36:24, so I improved 10 minutes. (Keep in mind, I was completely hungover when I ran 43 minutes). My ultimate goal is to race competitively in the 20's. I will be happy with high 20's. I think I can do it. 


I love how I feel after a good run. I'm completely excited for the day that I can go run 5 miles like it's not a big deal at all! I'm focused again on exercise and I'm ready to see my progress. I think I might throw in a little "Slim in 6", too! I need to work on my arm flab.....gross! 


29 running workouts to go! 


Now, hop on over to Life of Meg and join in on Mingle Monday!! 




Signature3.1

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I "tried" this program back in November. I got all of 3 workouts into it and quit. I had, apparently, forgotten how much I absolutely despised running. Even though I get my cardio in other ways now, I'd still love to try a 5K. Stick with it, girl!

    Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay for comments!! xoxo